Large chunks of ice,
Afloat the gorgeous lagoon,
Creating magical shapes,
Celebrates different hues.
Offspring’s of the Vatnajokull glacier,
Ghostly white, black and blue,
Beside the lava giants,
Wears a blanket grey.
Mesmerized by its beauty,
Casted in a special spell,
I feel encapsulated in stillness,
Flying with the icy winds.
The water fresh on my face,
Its taste slithers my throat,
My fingers curl,
My teeth crunch.
Become one with nature,
Surrender to its magic,
Listen to its music.
The water ripples,
The ice bergs clash,
The sun peeks through the grey,
To kiss the virgin ice.
I keep staring at the icy lagoon,
Lost in my thoughts,
Gathering every detail,
Witnessing every change.
Startled by the noisy birds,
I wake up,
And fill my lungs with deep freshness,
Before bidding adieu to this unforgettable delight.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Vatnajokull glaciers covers 9 % of Iceland. Jokulsarlon is the largest glacier lake in Europe
- This lagoon did not exist earlier it was only ice, due to global warming the ice is melting, and the glacier is shrinking
- No two trips to the glacier are the same because of ice breaking and falling constantly
- It is home to many seals and migratory birds
- The lake is filled with fish that drift in from the sea along with the tides. Seals gather in large numbers at the mouth of the lake to catch fish during the winter
- Boat tours and hiking tours are famous here
- It conceals some of the most active volcanoes in its heart
- Numerous rives flow out of this glacier contributing to the greenery in Iceland
- Many Hollywood films are shot in this glacier.
- It has a surface area of 8100 sq. kilometers.
- These icebergs are seen in shades of colours which depends on the air trapped within the ice and is an interplay of light and ice crystals.
- A coffer dam was constructed near the Glacial River Bridge to give free access to the moving ice and protect its heritage.
Until then, keep wandering
Happiness and sunshine.