How to find peace when everything around is buzzing ? How to relax the mind amidst the ocean of turbulent thoughts? How to remain sane when everything seems insane? Asked a friend after reading my post on finding peace and self love .How to meditate ? She asked again! When do I have the time ?
THREE P’s OF MEDITATION
Patience : Do not expect any magic. Do not expect to see anything because then you will not experience peace , you will only want to see the light and attain illumination. In this quest you will fail miserably. Patience is the key . Let the thoughts come, all you need to do is let it pass smoothly.
Practice : Like at habit , mediation requires practice too. Start with only 5 minutes or 5 breathing cycles each day and slowly increase the duration by 5 minutes each day until it starts to come naturally to you.
Perseverance : There is no THE mantra for meditation, no specific time , no particular place too. One could meditate looking at the water in the lake or hearing the bees buzz in their garden. All you need to know is the technique of reducing the inner noise within you.
Now what is inner noise . It is any thought form or elemental running in your mind. It can be positive or negative or a combination of both. These emotions arise in your mind and confuse the body. But once you realise that you are none of these meditation becomes easy.
How to FIND CALM IN THE CHAOS?
1. Wake up early: Waking up early is the answer to effective time management. When the mind is relaxed and rested , when the environment is serene and everybody else asleep, you can easily find time to meditate and begin the day with gratitude and peace.
2. Exercise : Now why exercise ? Because it releases Happy hormones and reduces cortisol more popularly called the stress hormone. Exercise also makes sure that the energy you receive while mediating spreads evenly avoiding energy congestion. Don’t you feel good after a workout? Now this does not mean that you need to enrol in a gym or take any personal training sessions. All you need to do is simple push ups and some jumping jacks to help the body feel good.
3. Do Pranic Breathing : The 6-3-6 technique. Breathe in for 6 counts , hold for the next three counts and exhale in the next 6 counts. Do this for a 7 breathing cycles and instantly feel more energised yet relaxed. Don’t believe me ? Try it out NOW!
4. Self love: As I always say self love is the best love you can give yourself. Love yourself completely and unconditionally irrespective of everything else in the world. Fill yourself with gratitude and feel your inner calm. Say words of loving kindness to your heart and see it bloom like a young flower each day.
5. Curl your tongue to your palette: Connecting your tongue to the roof of your mouth has double benefits. One it stops your from unnecessary talking and second it improves your aura. It makes you receptive and hence helps you concentrate better.
6. Try with guided meditation : Listening to a guided meditation or music while meditating enables you to concentrate and reduces the inner noise.
7. Journal it :Make a record of your meditation sessions and note duration of each session too. Do write the thoughts that come to you while meditating negative or positive and record your experiences. Compare every week and you will find that they tend to decrease per week provided it is done mindfully .
8. Trigger : You and me are masters of procrastination. The best way to avoid this is to set a trigger for every action. Like putting off the alarm bell would lead to drinking water or brushing leading to simple stretches and then stretches lending you time to meditate. This way it falls into your routine and does not remain like a task to you.
9. Virtues : What comes out of your mouth is more important than what you put in. Improvise your karma by practising loving kindness , non injury , honesty and good will. Your virtues make you! Stay pure,stay nice.
10. Take a salt water bath: Ever wondered why people living near a beach are happy go lucky types. It’s not because of the booze and the bikini .It’s because of the salty water around them. Salt disintegrates negativity and water dissolves it making you healthier and happier. Try taking a salt water bath today and you will know what I mean. It might make you tired for once but very very happy later.
Finally ,Congratulate yourself on completion of every successful session. Post it on social network to let people know about it. Don’t you see so many fitness videos going viral these days! Share your experience and spread the word. Alternatively you could join a group promoting meditation and find value in what others have to say as well. In short do anything that helps you stick to your meditation schedules.
IN CASE YOU MISS A DAY
1) Forgive yourself : Forgive yourself for not being ‘perfect’ because nobody is.
2) Get back on the horse asap : Restart as fast as you can .
3) Measure your progress to eliminate regret: Use your growth as a source of to motivation to yourself .
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you .
— Lewis B Smedes
I can meditate in the chaos.Keeping calm in an heated environment is meditation in its true sense. Observe and listen to your heart, open it up and your mind shall follow suit.
Happiness and sunshine