Its very easy for a parent to say “My child does not listen to me”. Well its true in most cases,but the bigger question is WHY they don’t listen?
“Don’t worry that children never listen to you , worry that they are watching you”
Now lets explore and understand why they do not listen to you, and what you can do instead.
- When a child is hungry or sleepy they turn cranky and refuse to listen to anything. Check the time and make sure they are properly fed and rested whichever the case may be.
- Most likely your words will no unheard and unnoticed when you try to speak with a child who is watching the screen. You think putting off the TV will help ? NO ! this will only annoy them , instead turn off the volume and then try to have a word with them .
- You stand on their head and shout at them and you think you will get attention? NO. Bend down to their level and look into their eye and then start a conversation.
- Hold their hands while talking to them making sure you get all the attention you want.
- Watch your tone and choose your words carefully. Dominating the child often results in rebel. Instead explain them the situation , offer them choices and let them decide.
- Make a schedule in advance to avoid confusions later. Let them pre plan their activities for the day and then all you need to do is remind them without nagging.
- Most importantly correct yourself . Make yourself available to your child. Demonstrate effective listening , if you don’t pay attention to their little things which are in fact big for them , they will not tell you the bigger things later in life.
“Listening is an art , master it ”
And finally talk less and listen more. Listen and not hear! Check out this post to know more about the difference between the two.
Happiness and sunshine